Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Engagement & Flooding

So, I kind of left you guys hanging with the promise of an engagement story.  Sorry.  Things got REALLY busy towards the end of the week and I’m only now finding the time to sit down and write it all out!  (You’re probably also wondering about the second half of my title, I’ll get there in due time.)

So, I told you the story about Monday’s adventure to Jared's.  Wow, looking back I really applaud Stephen for not ruining the surprise then and there!
That evening, Stephen told me that the reason he had called me at work that afternoon was because he was trying to surprise me with a special dinner at Multnomah Falls.  (I never mentioned it on this blog, but Multnomah Falls is one of the reasons I fell in love with Oregon.  It's just so beautiful.  Well, as beautiful as it is in the Spring, it's even more beautiful half frozen in the Fall/Winter.)  I usually work til 4 on Tuesdays, but the idea of going to the falls was tempting enough that I worked on finding someone to cover my last client.  Boy, am I glad that I did!

I got stuck in traffic on my way home, and arrived at my house at the time that I had told Stephen that I would be ready to leave by.  I wasn’t sure what to expect from the evening, but dressed warmly (but elegantly) in preparation of hiking the falls.

We got to the Falls with just enough time to walk up to the bridge (which I was OK with since it was a lot colder than I anticipated and I would have frozen if we’d hiked much further).  We took some pictures, said some cheesy things about how beautiful it was and went to the lodge for dinner.  
I had called ahead for a reservation, but it really wasn’t necessary.  We were probably the only two customers in the Lodge.  We sat down and as I hung my coat on the back of my chair Stephen pulled something out of his jacket pocket.  "You always say I don't write to you enough...so here.”  (I will note here that he was wearing a bizarre rain jacket under his nice pea coat.  He had commented about it in the car, but I hadn’t really paid attention to the fact that the jacket was out of place…more on the jacket later…)

Stephen handed me a folded up letter, warning me not to skip ahead and to read it form the beginning (he knows me all too well).  I started reading the letter with a sense of puzzlement and excitement.  I won’t publish the letter on here, but it basically started off with him writing about how much he’d enjoyed our time getting to know each other, that he cared for me very much, etc. etc. etc.
Halfway through the letter he pulled a small box out of his jacket and placed it on the table.  My heart skipped a beat, but I forced myself to focus on reading the letter instead of the ominous box on the table.  Let’s just say the letter got delightfully mushy and  showcased many of the things I love about this man.  He quoted Proverbs 31, noting that he had found that excellent wife.  I was really having trouble reading at this point.  Throughout my reading of the letter Stephen had been silent, and silent he remained.  The letter ended with the million dollar question.  Will you marry me?

I looked up, hardly believing what I was reading.  I looked Stephen dead in the eye and quietly asked if he was for serious.  I opened the box and saw a ring.  Stephen just kind of looked at me, waiting for a reply.  Of course it was a hundred times “yes!”


Afterwards I couldn’t really believe this was all real.  I was speechless for a good twenty minutes; though I did manage to call my family and Karen to share my news.  Even now, almost a week later i can’t believe it.  I know people are concerned that this was fast; after all we only dated for < 2 months.  I guess it’s true what they say though—when you know, you know.  We both feel as if we’ve known each other forever.  Never in my life have I been so sure of a decision.  I knew that God brought me across the country for a reason, and Stephen was that reason.  

Oh yeah, about the jacket.  I guess it was the only jacket he had that would properly conceal the ring/box.  

Well, peace out folks.  I guess the flooding story will have to wait for another day.  This post is getting too long for my liking.  


No comments:

Post a Comment